Follow Me

Our Adventure
This area does not yet contain any content.
Things I've Learned
RSS Feeds
Header Photos

Since you asked, the header photos are ones I've taken from around the world. There's no specific meaning to size or placement; I just like them.

Our Adventure

This journal contains entries related to 'our adventure' with brain cancer. The latest entries are at the top. 

To view the complete list of entries, click here. Click here to go the first entry.

Thank you for checking in with us and especially for all your prayers and support!

Chris & Sandy and Family


Dealing with a cold

Alas, a few days ago I got a nasty cold. This is the first time I've been sick in over a year of chemo! We had set this week aside to celebrate being done with chemo, and, in an odd way, that's exactly what we're doing. When I realized I was actually sick I stopped the chemo with three days to go.

We're at our condo (global time share type) and we're both enjoying the rest. One problem: we've agreed to a three foot 'personal space' until I'm over this cold. Lot's of fun...

Other than that, my wife, as usual, is the absolute best friend and nurse I could ever be blessed with. We use a germ killing wipe to share the remote and literally maintain a 'space' so that coughing, sneezing and wheezing (hopefully) respect that area. That takes real faith.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Stay tuned...


Quick update...

I have four days left and I'm done.

With chemo, I mean.

The rest of my life begins four days from now. I'll have a scan a week later and then every 3-4 months, depending on how the scans look.

But my life begins to get back to 'normal' four days from now. I'm having a hard time processing that.

I've had twelve rounds of chemo, most of them 21 days straight, taking a little over a year to complete. As I've said before, my body has almost gotten used to it. The resilence of the human body will never cease to amaze me.

My next post will share the results of my next scan. Stay tuned...

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. You have no idea how much they have meant.


Running the race...

It's been a few weeks since I posted anything related to 'our adventure'. As I've mentioned before, this road has become somewhat boring, and that's a good thing.  :)

Boring is a bit tedious, but my family would tell you that we've had enough excitement to last a couple of decades.

Next Monday I begin my last, 21 day round of chemo. After that I get another scan to see what's up, and then I go into really boring mode. I'll have scans every three months, then every four, then every six, etc., unless something changes. I'm not anticipating that.

And then last night...

Last night I experienced something I hadn't felt in years: a panic/anxiety attack. Years ago, battling a sickness after returning from Siberia, I had severe anxiety with panic attacks, even hallucinations. I got so scared at times I couldn't even walk the fifty feet to my mailbox. For those who know me, I don't get scared, but this was completely out of my control.

Back to last night. I was sitting in my family room reading a book and this slithery feeling started crawling up my back, up my neck, and then it enveloped me like a shroud. As it did, I felt like I had the beginning of a severe fever. I began to shake, uncontrollably, but I wasn't. I was certain I had the onslaught of a vicious illness or infection and that I was going to wind up in the hospital. In a split second I could see the doctors and nurses scrambling, pumping me full of antibiotics, all with very worried looks on their faces. It was so real, just like before. Sandy was out of town and my mind was so messed up I didn't think I could figure out how to call anyone.

I made it to the kitchen and heated up some soup while I prayed. Slowly I began to realize what was going on. I told myself you've been here before and that there was nothing wrong with me; I was fine and I was going to be fine.

When I had these attacks before I would wind up in the emergency room with blood pressure of 220/130. Each time they could find nothing wrong with me. After a few hours they would send me home and all night I would go through hell trying to stay sane. This went on relentlessly for two years.

I'm not certain why I'm sharing this; I really am doing fine. This just came out of nowhere. I've been putting in a lot of hours and maybe I overdid it. Who knows? But, my God is still bigger than anything life or the devil can throw at me and once again He faithfully helped me get through last night. I slept like a rock and woke up refreshed. In fact, today I had enough energy and brain power to work for hours on a friend's ministry web site.

If I were to venture a guess, I think our enemy is trying to scare me again. He can't touch my spirit, and he's on a tight leash by God's command. I know how to submit to God, resist Satan, and watch him flee from me. I know my Big Brother stands at my side and the demons see Him and run.

I know that I will live a long, fruitful life. God has way too much invested in me to see my life end sooner that it should. Heck, it's only been forty years since God spoke to me. Looking at the people in the Bible, I'm just finishing boot camp and getting ready for the next forty years of real harvest.

Run the race to win it. Shalom.


My amazing Doctor

Please forgive the embedded ad. The story begins at around 0:45.

This video is about my neurosurgeon, Dr. Gregory Foltz. On course for a career as a touring concert pianist, he put that aside to pursue a cure for brain cancer. I am one of those who has personally benefited from his decision. You'll be inspired.


Quick Chemo Update

Quick chemo update...

Page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 Next 5 Entries »